Quickly merge multiple PDF files or part of them into a single one. PDFsam Basic is free and open source and works on Windows, Mac and Linux.
Keep your PDF files safe and private. With our applications it is not necessary to upload your PDF files to any third-party service, all processing is performed locally on your computer where your files remain safe and private
Short guide on how to combine PDF files with PDFsam Basic
Select PDF files to merge
You can merge PDF files or part of them. Drag and drop the PDF files you want to combine or click
Add to add files. Use the buttons
Move Up and
Move Down or right click to arrange the files order. Encrypted PDF files show a icon on their left, click on the lock icon and supply the unlock password.
If you only want to merge some pages, double click on the
Page ranges cell and specify the pages or page ranges you want to include. Pages can be specified in the form of comma separated page ranges like 2-13,17 if you want pages from 2 to 13 and page 17. You can use the syntax 20- if you want pages from page 20 to the end of the file.
- Add a blank page if page number is odd: PDFsam Basic will add a blank page after every merged PDF whose page number is odd
- Add footer: PDFsam Basic will add a page footer with the name of the file the page belonged to
- Normalise page size: PDFsam Basic will resize all pages to have the same width of the first page
- Interactive forms: What to do in case of some of the PDF files contain an AcroForm. Discard the forms if they are not needed, merge them together allowing fields with the same name or merge them renaming fields with the same name to avoid names clashes
Bookmarks: What to do in case of some of the PDF files contain bookmarks
- Retain: Merge together bookmarks trees of the input PDF files
- Discard: Bookmarks are discarded
- Create one entry for each merged document: A new bookmarks tree containing one entry for each merged PDF file is created. Each entry pointing to the first page of the merged file
- Retain bookmarks as one entry for each document: A new bookmarks tree containing one entry for each merged PDF files is created. Each entry will contain the whole bookmarks tree of the merged file
- Table of contents: PDFsam Basic will add a table of contents to the beginning of the resulting PDF file
Choose name and location of the resulting PDF file.
Merge the files
Once all the options are properly set, click
Run to start the execution. If no error occurs, the progress bar will grow until it is fully colored and a friendly ding sound will tell you that your PDF is ready.